Monday, November 26, 2012

Giving Thanks


We started a new Thanksgiving tradition this year.  I have heard a lot of different variations of ways to teach your children to "give thanks" especially around Thanksgiving.  I chose to keep it really simple with a jar and post-it notes.  Starting 10 days before Thanksgiving Brent and Owen would tell me something they are thankful for.  I would write it on the post-it note with an explanation of why they were thankful for this thing, and then they would put it in the jar.  Brent helped Owen with his input by telling him words he knows how to say.  Here are a few of my favorites!

  • Blankie-"Because when you don't have a blankie, you'll be sad because you can't cuddle with it"
  • Clothes-"So we can wear them and not be naked" (so true)
  • Trees-"So the birds have some place to live"
  • Mama-"Because if we don't have a Mama we'd be all alone" (my favorite!)
  • Jesus-"When we don't have Jesus, mean guys come into our house and kill us" (this one seems a little harsh but I think the point is, Jesus protects us :)



As far as Thanksgiving goes, we spent it with Brandon's family.  We enjoyed our time spent with family eating way too much tasty food.  Pretty sure the baby (aka, my stomach) doubled in size over the weekend.  This is the only picture I got of the weekend.  But it's a good one!  We went hunting with Brandon one day.  This was Owen's first time and he had a blast driving the truck and running around in the woods.

No comments: