Thursday, December 1, 2011

Family Traditions: OLD & NEW

Some of my most fondest memories growing up are family traditions we had.  For this reason, I LOVE making new family traditions with my little growing family. 

OLD:

After Brent was born we started the tradition of setting up and decorating the Christmas Tree the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  So that is exactly what we did last Sunday.  It takes A WHILE because we have an "old school" Christmas Tree where you have to put one branch on at a time.  CRAZY!  Next year, I WILL buy a new, pre-lit tree.  I have to say though, this is a BEAUTIFUL tree.

Owen was ofcourse fascinated with the lights.  And like everything else that makes it to his hand, he tried to eat them.  NOT SAFE, I know. 

I am SO, SO excited about Brent and Christmas this year.  He lives and breathes it right now.  He wants to watch Christmas movies, listen to Christmas music, look at Christmas decorations, read Christmas books, etc.

We "inherited" a Christmas Train from Brandon's Aunt this year and set it up around the tree.  This is definitely Brent's favorite part.  We usually don't run it while Owen is awake because he just pulls the train off and tries to eat it (like I said).  So we put Owen to bed about 30 min. before Brent each night and then turn off all the lights in the house except the tree and lay on the floor to watch the train go 'round and 'round.  So magical!

Here is the finished product.  Notice how there aren't any ornaments the first 3 feet?  Any guesses as to why?  Anyone else do this?

NEW:

Notice the stack of books under the tree in the picture above?  We started a new tradition this year which I got from Pinterest.  I wrapped 24 Christmas books and starting today (Dec. 1) the boys get to unwrap 1 book a day before bedtime and we sit down together as a family and read it.


The first book was The Elf on the Shelf.  Which leads me to our next new tradition...

Here is our elf friend "Alfie".  Brent named him.  If you are not familiar with "The Elf on the Shelf" you should familiarize yourself with it.  Quick summary-the elf sits in a spot all day and watches all the naughty and nice things you do.  At night when you go to sleep he flies to the North Pole and reports to Santa how you have behaved.  When you wake up the next morning you have to go find the Elf in his new spot.  Isn't this the best idea ever!?!?!  Brent was so mesmerized by this elf after reading the book.  He had no idea we were going to have our own personal elf.  So far just tonight, Alfie helped "persuade" Brent to brush he teeth and get into bed when he didn't want to.  I love Alfie!!!
And I love Family Traditions!  And I LOVE Christmas!!!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I LOVE the new book idea!!~